Wednesday 19 October 2016

ABC’s of Hepatitis



What Is Hepatitis?

Inflammation of the liver of any cause is referred to as hepatitis. It may be caused by viruses, drugs, or alcohol, although the most common cause is viruses, viral hepatitis. There are several types of viral hepatitis, the most common of which are hepatitis A, B, and C.

 

Symptoms of Hepatitis

Very frequently the onset of hepatitis, the acute phase, is not associated with symptoms or signs, but when they do occur they are usually general and include fatigue, nausea, decreased appetite, mild fever, or mild abdominal pain. Later signs more specific for liver disease may occur, specifically yellowing of the skin and eyes (jaundice) and darkening of the urine. If the infection becomes chronic as is the cause with hepatitis B and C, that is, lasting longer than months, the symptoms and signs of chronic liver disease may begin. At this point the liver often is badly damaged.

How Is Hepatitis Diagnosed?

Chronic hepatitis slowly attacks the liver over many years without causing symptoms. If the infection is not diagnosed and treated, many people will develop damaged livers. If suspected, viral hepatitis of all types can be diagnosed easily by blood tests.

Hepatitis A
Highlights:
  • 1.       Hepatitis A is highly contagious. It usually is spread via a fecal-oral route, meaning via fecal contamination of food.
  • 2.       Mild hepatitis without symptoms.
  • 3.       The virus is eliminated by the body rapidly, and it does not cause long-term damage.
Prevention:
Washing the hands helps prevent transmission of hepatitis A
Treatment:
No treatment is needed for hepatitis A since the infection almost always resolves on its own. Nausea is common, though transient, and it is important to stay hydrated. It is recommended that strenuous exercise be avoided until the acute illness is over.

Hepatitis B

Highlights:

1.       A majority of adults who contract hepatitis B have none to mild symptoms, and then the virus resolves spontaneously; however, about 5% of people are not able to eliminate the hepatitis B virus and develop chronic infection.
2.       If a chronically infected mother gives birth, 90% of the time her infant will be infected and develop chronic hepatitis B, usually for life.
3.       This may give rise to serious complications of liver disease later in life such as liver damage, liver failure, and liver cancer.
Prevention:
Can be vaccinated.
Treatment:
For hepatitis B, treatment is aimed at controlling the virus and preventing damage to the liver. Antiviral medications are available that will benefit most people, but the medications need to be chosen carefully, and the treatment needs to be monitored to prevent medication-related side effects.

Hepatitis C

 Highlights:

1.       With acute hepatitis C, the virus is eliminated in 25% of people.
2.       The 75% of the people become chronically infected and later may develop serious complications such as liver failure and liver cancer.
3.   Hepatitis C is transmitted primarily by infected blood, for example by sharing needles when injecting illicit drugs.
4.     It only takes one exposure to hepatitis C to become chronically infected, so people who have injected illegal drugs even one time or many years previously could have chronic hepatitis C, and not know it since there are often no symptoms. People with blood transfusions prior to 1992 - when they started testing blood for transfusion for hepatitis C also may have become chronically infected.
 According to WHO:
  1. 15–45% people infected with HCV get better within six months without ever receiving treatment.
  2. Many people are unaware they’re infected.
  3. 55–85%will develop chronic HCV infection.
  4. For people with chronic HCV infection, the chance of developing cirrhosis of the liver is 15–30% within 20 years.
  5. 130–150 million people around the world are living with chronic HCV.
  6. Treatment with antiviral medications can cure HCV in many cases, but in some parts of the world, access to the necessary medical care is lacking.
  7. Antiviral treatment can reduce risk of cirrhosis of the liver and liver cancer.
  8. Antiviral treatment works for 50–90% of people treated.
  9. 350,000–500,000 people die from HCV-related complications each year.

Treatment:

For Hepatitis C, the drugs currently used (as of March 2016) include pegylated interferon, ribavirin, elbasvir, grazoprevir, ledipasvir 90mg/sofosbuvir 400mg (Harvoni), paritaprevir, ritonavir, ombitasvir, dasabuvir, simeprevir, daclatasvir. These are always used in various combinations, never alone. Interferon is given by injection while the other medications are pills. Studies have shown that combinations of these drugs can cure all but a small proportion of patients; however, serious side effects of treatment can occur.
Treatment options need to be discussed with a knowledgeable physician, as the appropriate combination is dependent upon multiple factors. These include genotype (there are 6), prior treatment and results, drug intolerances, presence of compensated liver disease or uncompensated cirrhosis, presence of HIV co-infection, other complicating conditions and liver transplantation. 

Monitoring Chronic Hepatitis
Monitoring of the progression of liver disease and its treatment are the cornerstones of managing hepatitis B and C. Doctors regularly follow blood tests to determine how well the liver is functioning. Ultrasound examinations and CT scans can determine if there are complications such as cirrhosis or liver cancer that can be treated more effectively if found early.

Complications: Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis is the most common complication of chronic hepatitis. Cirrhosis can be detected with simple tests, but the liver biopsy is the best way to diagnose it. Cirrhosis occurs as the liver is destroyed and it is associated with liver failure, a life-threatening condition. The signs of cirrhosis include retention of fluid (swelling of the abdomen or lower extremities, fatigue, nausea, and weight loss. Later, confusion and jaundice occur due to the accumulation of chemicals normally removed by a healthy liver.


Complications: Liver Cancer

The major cause of liver cancer is hepatitis B and C, and can develop silently as the liver becomes cirrhotic. Blood tests, ultrasound examinations, CT and MRI scans can identify the cancers (seen here in green). Biopsy of the liver is needed to definitely make a diagnosis of cancer. If the cancers are found early, a small proportion of patients can be cured.

Liver Transplant

The liver serves many functions including the manufacture and removal of chemicals that allow cells to function normally, digestion of food, elimination of toxic chemicals, and the production of many proteins that the body needs. Thus, if a large portion of the liver is damaged, the liver cannot perform these critical functions; it is impossible to live without a liver. If the liver fails, a liver transplant may be the only hope, but it is not easy to find a healthy liver to transplant.

Hepatitis A and B Vaccines

Vaccines can protect against hepatitis A and B. The Centers for Disease Control recommends hepatitis A vaccination for children 12 to 23 months of age and for adults who travel or work in locations with a higher prevalence of hepatitis A infection. Vaccination for hepatitis A also should be given to people with hepatitis B and C. If the mother has chronic hepatitis B, the infant should receive the hepatitis B vaccine as well as hepatitis B immune globulin to prevent the development of chronic hepatitis B. There is no vaccine for hepatitis C.

Protecting Your Liver

If you have chronic hepatitis, you should prevent further damage to your liver, for example, by not drinking alcohol. Since some medications and supplements can damage the liver, before taking them you should discuss it with your doctor. Regular appointments for follow-up are important. Early progressions of the disease or complications are likely to change treatment.

3 comments:

  1. I do not know if you would be interested in my case.Here is Dr Itua Contact Information,drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or mobile +2348149277967 He talk on Whatsapp too.
    I was treated for Hepatitis C genotype 2 commencing on january 14, 2017 I was treated with Dr Itua Herbal Medicine which he prepared and send to me Via EMS Courier service and I received it @ Ohio Post Office .I drink in two weeks as he instructed me to and I was cured.Just in two weeks,Isn’t that joyful.yes i’m happy and my heart fill with joy.
    I carry a high risk of Lymphoma relapse due to constant exposure to the hepatitis C virus.
    In order for me to have the maximum chance of a cure from my Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma the Hepatitis C must be treated in a timely manner or my life hangs in jeopardy. Dr Itua made my life meaningful again.And to my friend Nicky who directed me to Dr itua herbal center i forever debted to you my dear friend.Doctor Itua Assured me he can as well cured the following desease,HIV,COPD,DIABETES,HERPES VIRUS,HEPATITIS,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very powerful I ve been diagnosed with HIV 3years ago and I've become in denial at first for a year but later I accepted it and I'm living with depression so I struggle to keep my cd4 up bit I'm very healthy and I just checked my cd4 was 460 and they advising me to being medication but I'm not ready I wanna take them when at least it 350 I'm only 24years old I have a 6year old healthy boy negative and I've been very stressed lately I slept with a guy a month ago without a condom I always protect my self but this time he took the condom out without me noticing I became so scared knowing my status and I can't live with my self knowing that I infected one another person I told him that he should take p.e.p anti virus he said no he is clean there is no need unless I know I'm not clean I was so scared not ready to tell him following day took me to his doctor for me to come he is clean he tested in front of me n I fogged my result sent him someone else's result with my name I regret it and I'm scared don't know how to tell him I'm scared can't live with my self knowing that I did what I did after protecting all the guys I've been with for so long it;s about a day for me to tell him that I HIV positive that i came across testimony of a lady been cured of HIV from Dr James herbal mix, for me been so desperate I picked up interest and contacted Dr James and told him my problems and he asked me some few questions and then said I should send him money some so he can send me his powerful herbal mixed medicine and I did,2 days later he courier the herbal mixed medicine to me through DHL speed post the medicine got to me in 5 days time and I used it morning and night as he prescribed for me for 3 weeks and I was cured, I couldn't believe it because it was like a magic to me
    then I was bold enough to meet the guy and told him that I had HIV but lucky am cured now, I recommended him to Dr James who cured him and he was cured too today we have been in a good relationship and we have 2years old son now and he is HIV negative Thanks to Dr James herbal mix if you are HIV positive or suffering from
    CANCER,
    HERPES,
    DIABETES,
    HEPATITIS B,
    PID Virus. contact Dr James on

    Email drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com 

    What's app +2348152855846 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in severe ribs and stomach pain at about this time last year. And I went to the hospital for treatment and was diagnosed for CHRONIC HEPATITIS B I was told it has no cure and i was so devastated because all hope seems to be lost, some drugs was given me to slowdown the viral load, and it got worse after sometime. I came across Dr. Iyabiye’s recommendation online while studying about the disease, and then I reach out to him just to try but I was taken by surprise. I got completely cured, all the pains were gone and I went back to the hospital for another test and I was tested negative to the disease. Here is the doctor’s contact if interested: iyabiyehealinghome@gmail.com (+234-815-857-7300)

    ReplyDelete